Q. I want to buy a house but I need more money for a down payment, where can I find the money?

You are at the right place! Affordablehouse.org will take you through the entire process stress free and match you to the appropriate program and show you the next steps. Click here to get started for free.

Q. I want to buy my first house but need help with down payment and closing costs. Do I apply to the State or Federal Gov’t directly?

No, the Down Payment Assistance Program is operated through a network of non-profit providers in various parts of the State. You must contact the provider that serves your area. Our website will provide you that information and much more for free when you sign up.

Q. Is there a limit on how much income I can have?

Yes. The total household income cannot exceed certain AMI numbers set by the regulating agency. The income limits vary by the area in which you live and the number in your household. Our website identifies what programs you qualify for based on the published limits.

Q. What is homebuyer education, and why do I have to have it?

Homebuyer education helps you to understand the home buying process. Owning a home requires a lot of responsibility, and home buyer counseling will assist you in obtaining the dream of homeownership. It will help you to determine how much you can afford, understand the importance of controlling your monthly expenses and good credit and your rights as a potential home buyer. Don’t worry, our website has that information available to you at no charge.

Q. Should I sign up for a Homebuyer Education Class?

Before you sign up for a homebuyer education class, you should talk to one of our Lender Partners to make sure your class qualifies you for a mortgage and Down Payment Assistance through the Program, as there are special requirements for Homebuyer Education in some parts of the state. These apply to the location of the home you are seeking to purchase, and not the location of your current residence (if different).

Q. What is a Mortgage Credit Certificate (MCC)?

Some home buyer assistance is in the form of a Mortgage Credit Certificate issued by the agency providing the assistance. With an MCC, the homebuyer is eligible to take a portion of the interest paid on the mortgage as a special tax credit each year, which can be several thousand dollars. Check if you can qualify for an MCC program “here